OCanada
Message Forum

• Tips For Keeping Your Computer Running Smooth View
      by Chrynch on November 8, 2018 at 05:12:39 PST

Restart Your Computer Every Day

Restarting your computer releases memory that has been assigned to different programs your computer has run during the day. Computer memory on many computers is limited. By restarting your computer everyday your computer will get a fresh start and reset the memory to help keep your computer running smoothly.

Run A Program Like CC Cleaner Once A Day

CC Cleaner is a free program that you can find by searching it's name on your browser. CC Cleaner removes all the tracking and miscellaneous files that are added to your computer when you go on the internet. It does not matter what browser you use. All browsers add tracking programs to your computer so that they can track what you are looking at, or where you are going on the internet. This is how browsers configure the ads you see on the banner sides of your browser. Even programs like TeamSpeak will add tracking files to your computer. It is not unusual to have 100's of tracking files running in the background of your browser. Programs like CC Cleaner will help to keep these tracking files at a minimum.

Defragment Your Computer Once A Month

The defrag program is located in your folder. As programs are added to your computer they are placed in open spaces on your hard drive. Programs take any space that is available and become "fragmented" on your hard drive. By running the defrag program your hard drive is consolidated by each program, which means all your programs will run more smoothly when they are written on your computer in the same place on your hard drive.

Run Registry Checking Software Once A Month

The registry of your computer keeps track of the different program versions on your computer. Many programs are updated without you knowing. This can create multiple registries on your computer for the same program. This confuses your computers operating , and can slow your computer down.

Netflix And Other Streaming Programs

As people dump their cable TV or other TV services, problems with your computer connection to the internet can suffer. Your internet only has a limited amount of band-width you can use. When Netflix or other HD programs are running in your home, this takes away band-width that your computer needs to access the internet. Watching videos on UTube or on Facebook are not HD quality and will not effect your band-width as much. I have noticed a drop in my internet speed after 5 pm after people begin to come home from work. My internet provider confirms that some areas or neighborhoods will experience a general slow-down of internet band-width due to higher volume on there s.  

Tips For Laptops

Laptop computers run very different from desktop computers. Most laptops have video cards built in to the motherboards. Because of this, the computer memory is shared between the video card and motherboard. Laptops do not have fans to cool the memory chips, motherboard, or video card down. When the inside of the laptop becomes warm or hot, the memory and function of your computer goes way down. This will cause "meter jumps" on WGT and can slow your internet connection to a crawl. Never set your laptop directly down on a table or desk. This will cause your computer to run hotter. Try placing two or more Popsicle sticks under your laptop so that it creates a little space under the bottom of your laptop. This will allow air to flow a little easier under your laptop, and will keep it running cooler. Older laptops run hotter than they should because of the HD Graphics like WGT uses. Because of this, your built-in older video card has a harder time keeping up with and running programs like WGT. If your laptop is 5 years old or older, your problems will continue as on-line programs like WGT are updated and improved. Buy a newer laptop or desktop computer is the only real fix for this problem.

RESTART YOUR COMPUTER ONCE A DAY

• Tips For Keeping Your Computer Running Smooth View
        by LordBob on November 9, 2018 at 10:54:08 PST

Thanks for the tips Chris,
      I'd just like to interject a couple things.
      Be careful with these cleaning programs, like CC Cleaner they can delete critical files that will cause your computer not to boot. I ran CC Cleaner and this happened to me, I'm not sure why I may have changed a setting or something, although I don't remember doing that.
      Also My Laptop has a fan, although most of the vent for it IS on the bottom, but it is a good idea to give it as much space to create more airflow, one other thing I would like to add here when it comes to your computer running hot, it is a good idea to take compressed air and blow the dust out of your computer periodically, it helps create air flow, your fan running smoothly, and unencumbered.
Tournament Time EDT
World Golf Tour
Now playing at World Golf Tour
League Admins
thurman15 (Head Admin)  
stormw2012 (Admin TD)  
spiders1 (Admin)  
johnnymill (admin td)  
iceats (Admin)  
michaelR  
mbaker9348  
KevinWinters  
DivatDown (OCGL FOUNDER)  
League Tips
The link to the rules for the League is located in the sub-menu on the Home tab.
LadderBux Redemptions
6-in-1 Multi Tool Pen Kit (550000)
Bright Telescopic Zoomable Flashlight (1088000)
Winged Friend Heart Charm (65000)
Linked Hearts Charm (65000)
Key to My Heart Charm (60000)

Over $4,814,050.00 worth of prizes awarded so far!
Click here to view available prizes!
Tournament Director
Interested in becoming a tournament director for the League? Click here for the application and more information!